PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS Aircraft Down In Dubai
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2010, 22:24
Dream Buster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JW411 - I always wondered why? Thanks.

A classic example is the old electrical smoke isolation drill that British Aerospace had printed on Pages 4A and 4B of the BAe146 QRH. I think (and I'm guessing now) as a result of a "happening" somewhere, the pages suddenly disappeared in an amendment. Pages 4A and 4B were suddenly empty and marked "Deliberately Blank".

When I queried this with BAe, I was told that this brought the BAe146 in line with the Avro RJ. The advice given to the Avro RJ pilots was "Land at the nearest suitable airfield". The CAA not only allowed this but (I assume) had allowed the lawyers to back date this reprehensible advice to those of us left on the BAe 146 freighter.
I had a suspected 'fire in the rear toilet' call from # 1 soon after T/O - which, after reducing power promptly to get back on the ground as soon as possible turned out to be 'only dense white oil bleed air smoke'.

That all happenned in 2002.

Now I don't fly any more; Like 25% of other 146 pilots, who have lost their health.

Here's the reason - from last weeks successful Australian High Court decision:

Flight attendant wins in toxic-fume case

Maybe in the future aircrew and customers will HAVE to be warned in advance of the invisible and visible dangers from oil smoke?

DB