PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2010, 03:41
oldpinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BP, obviously lots of busy pilots out there..... and yes I may have flown a helicopter or two

Dr Dave-In answer to questions about people management etc, It differs from service to service and job to job within that. I'm not surprised that the 34 sqn guy was puzzled. The RAAF tend to have their maintenance personnel 'looked after' by their engineer officers rather than aircrew.
In the Navy, as the FAA is an offshoot of the fleet, the divisional system still applies. In other words as junior aircrew you can be given a division of sailors from the sqn to look after with the assistance of a Chief or PO. This would be the non-maintenance things, ie promotion reports, courses, court appearances etc etc.

This, in addition to other jobs would be a 'secondary' job in addition to learning to fly/operate your aircraft of choice.

Can't speak for Army, and I may indeed be wrong about RAAF, as it probably isn't all the same.

As for subordinates- when you reach the dizzying heights of SQNLDR or FLTLT you may be a Flt Cdr or deputy FltCdr then you'll have junior aircrew to look after.

Kyll, about the FJ or nothing argument- I think it's better to be honest about the more general nature of your motivation rather than get caught out at the board interview when as a 'committed' FJ candidate you can't answer questions about your passion for fast jets.