PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 16:37
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Things Should Be Done

FYI

I want to extend my sincere congratulations to the Unite members and shop stewards from Corus on Teesside on a great conclusion to their campaign to save their plant from closure. I want also to single out my colleague Terry Pye our National Officer for his superb leadership throughout the crisis that threatened the future of 2,000 jobs there.
Over the last six months Terry and the team have worked quietly and patiently to get agreement with Corus to sell the plant and then go onto secure a buyer for the business. The campaign was based on a clear strategy that involved organising the workforce, winning the support of the local community and influencing local politicians.

There was no full frontal assault on the company in the media. There was no public sabre rattling so the media were never given an opportunity to divide the community. All the focus was on saving the jobs and the local economy.

The sale to the Thai steel producer SSI is great news for the workforce on Teesside and is even more glorious given that the deal was done at no expense to other Corus workers. This year’s pay settlement at the steel giant was 3.2% well above the average for this year.

Ironically this success story will never be afforded legendary status. It wasn’t a romantic glorious defeat, with slogans and marches and strikes and thousands of column inches devoted to the notoriety of an individual. It was just a clear example of Unite at its best and a model for the Unite I want to see develop in every sector. In future we need to be disciplined, strategic and focused on winning for our members.

Les Bayliss

Bit of a drift, sorry.