PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FR414 PIK-STN/ Thunderstorms
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2002, 20:05
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 149 Likes on 30 Posts
WX Radar Red from 4 degrees up through to 11 degrees up - think about it - it wasn't a ground return

It's the WORST I've ever seen it for departure.

About three landed and a couple departed (one CPT one DET I think). When the sky is BLACK and there is fork lightning clearly visible in the direction you're supposed to be going, my personal opinion is that you would be foolish to depart. You may get away with it, but it would be mighty uncomfortable for all concerned.

Reading the comments from HEATHROW DIRECTOR (another thread), if you suddenly want a heading to avoid you won't necessarily get it if it's going to reduce radar separation below minima, then you are literally "in it". You place an additonal load on to ATC - which is probably why London stopped accepting departures on the CPT/BUZ SID's on the day.

I'm not standing in judgement on anyone - but I've read enough accident/incident/stories that have convinced me that if it's looking THAT bad, just don't risk it - divert or stay on the ground. If the schedule slips by 30mins - so what, press on and there is the potential for it to "slip" a whole more than 30 mins!

Bottom line - keep it SAFE!