PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic flight progress strips....what system is the best
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:59
BrATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thales' thing seems to be a beautyful video game !

The ATCOs seem to hesitate a lot when filling their e-strips , strips move slower than real ones.
When the girl writes something, it's unreadable. Surely, that' a simulation, the "ATCOs" are actors, they are not used to the system. They can't be qualified on it.
When a strip moves (slower than paper ones), their size changes... must be disturbing for a real controller.
The available documentation that shows on the screen is irrelevant : I hope ATCOs know their sector (they shouldn't need that). And it takes a place on the screen that could be useful otherwise.
Of course, this film shows a demonstrator, not the final system, which will have to be used for years in an operational safety context. After 2 years of heavy duty, what will that screen look like? My daughter's game's touch screen shows lots of scrapes after only 6 months...
The pen they use is a special one. It is not linked to the control position. How is the pen issue dealt with ? Does every ATCo have his own, or is there a pen per position ? How much does such a pen cost ? Who pays when the pen is lost ? When a pen is broken, is there a backup system?

I don't think they use e-strips in LFBO (IAC shown) they already have electronic co-ordination between TWR and APP and between APP and ACC, even though the result is a paper strip.

How much does this system cost ? For what improvement ?
Could anyone tell me what is better in e-strips vs paper strips ?
Not only the usual : "That's the future, you must live with your time" . I'd like to know what do controllers win by changing to an e-strips system.

Last edited by BrATCO; 31st Aug 2010 at 15:38.