PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious Gulfstream incident in Kerry Ireland.
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:44
hawker750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole operation sounds like an accident about to happen, which of course it nearly did.
How many times have I heard crews blame the FMS when things go wrong. The plane was flying them rather than the other way round. I fail to understand why anybody would want to program an FMS in this situation. I have never been so lucky as to fly a GIV but perhaps somebody could tell me..... Do you have to program everything via the FMS? Can't one simply tune up an NDB and an ILS frequency on an old fashioned control head? As for situational awareness there cannot be a better demonstration as to why ADF's should be fitted to aircraft. (Apparantly the most modern aircraft do no have them fitted anymore)
Equally worrying was the engine. Something metal about an inch in diameter had been ingested at some time and the crew knew about it! My guess would be a torch but I am sure bobody would own up to that.
As far as the Captain not returning to India is concerned, not surprising really, the Indian Authorities are pretty hard to deal with when things are going well, he will just have to put a large red ring around the sub continent and make sure he does not go back there.
But the bigger question is why is it so easy for foreign registered aircraft to operate within Europe? The CAA or any other European aviation authority does not have the authority to intervene in the organisation (or lack of it). As EASA land becomes more costly to comply with more aircraft are going on M, N, VP, VT registers. It will be interesting to see how the statistics hold up in a year or two's time regarding serious incidents on aircraft of differing registration.