PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 16:47
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JUST RAMBLING.
Back to Bruntinthorpe soon, but .

Clifnemo. That must have been terrible, being banged down from aircrew.

Yes fredjhh My ‘oppo’ at Kirkham on the equipment course at Kirkham was one ‘Tubby Baker’ one of the pilots who chose to go on gliders his sole contribution was a trip to Arnhem in a Horsa glider.. I first came across him in the ‘ablutions’ .All I could see was his bare back, with a scar from his left shoulder reaching his right shoulder, and then down to his waste, which was obviously made by a surgeons scalpel. and a very large jagged scar in the middle of his back. Evidently the injury happened on landing caused by shrapnel , but he didn’t remember it. At least he didn’t have to walk back , they kindly brought him back on a stretcher, and gave him a little red wound stripe to wear on his right sleeve. I will endeavor to print a photo below showing Tubby (bottom right) sitting on Wunsdorf equipment section steps. A thing that surprises me is that we were still wearing ‘battle dress’ ,we must have preferred battle dress to ‘best blues’ or were we ‘shooting a line.’ Whilst on the subject of battle dress and Wunsdorf. . We were rather envious of the American’s battledress which was very smart complete with lapels , as distinct from our ‘choker necks’. When I found t hat one of my German female stores assistants was a seamstress , I asked her if she could remodel my battledress as per the American type. She took the battledress home that evening and returned the following morning with it beautifully pressed and sponged , with lapels button holes etc. .When I asked her how much she wanted she replied could I pay her one cigarette. I gave her a packet of twenty Players, We set up a nice little earner. With me taking the orders at forty cigarettes per job. The amazing thing was that no one was put on a fizzer. Possibly the C.O followed suit .

[QUOTE]
Me on left wearing hats field service. Tubby on right ,front row ditto.
Apparently there was a station mutiny
In our case Spartacan I think we were too happy to mutiny, but there was an occasion at Kirkham, when the whole flight disobeyed an order (more later) and the C.O tried to charge us with mutiny , but wisely dropped the matter.
[]Inspector clueless PAGE 1984

RE Special BBMF Flypast at The Naze 27 August
Inspector clueless . I bombarded B.B.M.F with emails and newspaper cuttings about Reg, in my own inimitable fashion, but it fell on stony ground , and a request to divert the other fly past over Dover didn’t even result in a reply. Think I am in their 'black book, now.

Madbob and Robsack we are eagerly awaiting some help.

P.S I spent the whole of Friday P.M typing and losing my work despite working in M.S Word.. It save O.K in M.S Word but when working in PPRuNE and leaving it to obtain a quote lost my work in PPRuNE. Does any one know how to save PPRuNE work, where to save it and where to find it again.. As an example when I leave pp to load a pic from Photobucket the work in pp has disappeared .

And Icare (Kevin) where are you I have emailed an P.Md you re helping with your two photos , but have had no reply.

Last edited by cliffnemo; 27th Aug 2010 at 19:34.