View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 02:20
justwhenyouthought..

not only in saudi...

In the UAE, I personally know of several crew members who have not been paid for several months. It's all very well to make statements about not going unless you have a return ticket, and walking away if you don't get paid at the end of the month, but the reality is somewhat different, IMHO. My current employer has paid nobody at all in the office for at least 2 months and some have not been paid for 3 + months. He does honestly believe he is completely above the law. The local regs state that all salaries MUST be deposited with the Ministry of Labour by the 24th of the month, for onward payment to employees by the last working day of the month. This is the salary protection scheme. Our company have NEVER complied since they were forced to join the scheme more than a year ago. There is a confidential complaint system, but if you use it you are then open to being discovered as the whistle blower and being fired.

The UAE is replete with laws and regulations which are supposed to help workers rights. However well intentioned these are, the fact is that they are simply not policed and enforced. If they were, maybe things would be much improved. For example, the police won't stop speeding cars with low and 'important/expensive' number plates in case the driver has wasta/influence which will lead to the dismissal or deportation of the police officer concerned.

If you work for the big guys, the Emirates/Etihad/Air Arabia s of this world you are probably in a better position, but working for the smaller airlines/vip ops., you are, by and large, at the mercy of whoever decides to do what...

The solution is simple, yes, walk away, but what about the outstanding salaries/benefits ? At least if you stay, somehow, you may get your money.....

I am standing by for the comments from the 'got the t-shirt brigade....'

LOL