View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2010, 17:52
Nick Thomas

Well said Biggles 78. It's not just the technical know how of CJ and M2dude that is so impressive; it's also the clear way that they explain everything.
If an engine had a fire or an explosive failure; it would seem on the face of it that the adjacent engine could easily be affected. As everything on Concorde has a sound technical reason. I have been wondering what that reason or reasons was? and also if there was any inbuilt dividing protection between engines on the same wing?
Not being an expert on jet engines (or any aviation matter), I was wondering am I right to assume that as air pressure decreases with altitude then the amount of thrust needed to maintain M2 would also decrease? This would explain the reduced fuel consumption at higher altitudes.
Would I also be right to assume that the max power delivered by the engines would reduce at altitude, thus even if the engines were run at near to available max power at high altitude it would be no way near the max power at lower levels? The reason I ask this is that I started to think that if the engines were being run at near to max output then the life of the engines would be compromised. Yet if what I have said above is true this would not be the case?
My other query concerns the FE. I understand that he set take off power etc and I can understand that it would be difficult for the pilots to do this at a time of heavy workload. I also understand that he also checked the pilots inputs into the INS system. So was he/she also a qualified pilot?
Once again many thanks

Last edited by Nick Thomas; 21st Aug 2010 at 17:54. Reason: Ad a question mark