PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA Cessna 180's in PNG
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 03:36
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MFX did have a prop strike at Moresby when Mac Lee was first getting to grips with the old girl in the early 90s. I was asked to hop in and do some remedial circuits with him by DCA - which I did. He went on to fly it successfully up until his death.

Memory dims but maybe 7 years ago, not long after Mac was killed in his 402, MFX was put up for sale and I believe the asking price was PNGk50k (about Aud30k) and she was airworthy, well flyable, at the time! A mate who was still in PX rang me and told me about it suggesting I should buy it. I had my Bonanza 3 years already so certainly didn't have the cash nor inclination to buy a C185...well being a C185 tragic I had the inclination

Being half way through a nuts and bolts restoration of my Bonanza (which was airworthy before I started - for how much longer was the question) I have a keen insight into what these old birds are worth in the condition MFX is in now.

Approaching zero

If you could gain legal title for <10k and ship it south by the time you had it back flying in perfect 'as new' condition it would 'owe' you at least 250k, unless you're a LAME or the employer of one, maybe over 300k. That is not to say it wouldn't be superb value at that price - what would you pay for a new C185 if they still built them? A damn site more than that. But you wouldn't get 250k for it the day after you finished restoring it.

Someone should absolutely do exactly that - but you need to get it for next to nothing.