PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping the wings level in a stall
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 11:34
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barrow
Ailerons are used for roll control and rudder for yaw. Using rudder alone to keep wings level during entry is poor form.
I'd suggest that's a massive oversimplification. Take a look at secondary effects of controls, and (I don't know if this is taught powered - it wasn't when I converted to spamcans), how the primary and secondary effects change (actually swap over) with speed.

Originally Posted by bingofuel
Yes, but the stall will occur first and provided you recover from the stall the spin will not develop.
In a perfect aeroplane with perfect rigging, flown perfectly in balance with no propellor effects, both wings will stall at the same time and a wing would not drop.
As these conditions will not exist, if you want the aircraft to stall both wings at the same time, I would suggest that the rudder is used to prevent or induce a yaw to try to cause each wing to stall at the same time. To achieve this may well involve the balance ball not being centered but the result is each wing will stall at the same point due to all the variables being equal.
Arguably, a 'proper' spin doesn't exist until something like a whole turn or more - however, that's probably moot to this discussion, and a little purist.. but I do wonder how many are posting 'this will spin' know so from practical experience, or are just repeating - sometimes, aeroplanes can be surprising things:

Take a decathlon, establish a full sideslip, either way, rudder on stop, and opposite aileron/wing down to hold a straight line. Slow up until it stops flying, and the result is?

A (repeatable) clean, straight ahead stall with no wing drop? Who'd guess?
I wouldn't extrapolate to all a/c, particularly as the decathlon has a convenient straight, high wing with next to no dihedral. No matter the angle the wing is travelling, all parts are meeting the air at the same angle and speed. Why would one end stall first?

Personally I'm inclined to believe any static yaw is distinctly secondary to *rate* of yaw in determining wing drops. Obviously sweep and dihedral make yaw matter more.

BTW, those 'perfect' conditions do exist, It's called a glider