PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Pilot Job - Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 18:51
skysurfer0805

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Pilot Job - Advice needed

Dear pprune community,
At first I wanted to say thank you to all members of this community who make this site such a valuable source of information, dispute and advise - specially to those who are new to aviation.

I have been through hard work from the day-dream of being a commercial pilot to the point when my "frozen ATPL" CPL reached my postbox. In the jungle of FTO's I feel lucky about not loosing tens of thousands of Euros like some friends did, when their highly advertised schools went into bancruptcy during their integrated training.

I feel even luckier to very soon be invited to a job assessment at a regional airline that operate dash 8-300's . Of course this is a great opportunity for a first job and I really want to do it, but there are counter arguments (if i will pass assessment of course); Salary will be very low and typerating will have to be pre-financed. Even the assessment is being charged for! Rumors are that pilot fluctuation is high because of general working conditions. Also I will have to change my residency and leave my house, my non aviation job and other candy that comes along with my home town.

Furthermore there is a good chance for a job right here, on a CJ2+ - probably only half of rating prefinanced, operated from a company with good reputation and decent salary. The only down here is in the nature of executive flight - standby times abroad and possibly less hours flown.

So I'm asking you, how much is turboprop experience worth to companies compared with executive CJ2 if I'll want to move up to something bigger after some years? What would be your choice if it was between this two?

Cheers,