PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did you have to give up?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 00:48
SgtBundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it worth it?

Just chipping in on this. At 30 I am taking my first steps into getting my license (very first, effects of controls lesson was done on Sunday). It is something I have always wanted and but never had the funds for. Now I have decided its time, and I will work my way through the cost regardless, even if it means limited hours and some financial pain. I originally wanted to go the CPL route, but from what I can gather the money isn't there that would allow me to do a career change and the upkeep seems prohibitive.

The thing is, now that I am just looking at doing a PPL, I wonder if it is worth it. My parents, wife and anyone I talk to about learning to fly come back to "its a bit expensive isn't it?". My thought was once I get it it will be something my family can enjoy too, but it seems like being at the point where I could hire a 6 seat single (if at all possible) is a long way off, the cost is steeper than I thought and never mind their fears of flying in a small plane. The range of photos on the DG&P photo thread though do inspire me to do it though.

So, the question is, is it worth it if I don't have some way to subsidise the costs or truly make use of my skills? Any words of motivation out there or ideas for getting more out of the expense?

P.S. I am not really interested in RA just for the sport of it