PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure
Thread: Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 15:39
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, no. My operating procedures are quite sound. The failures occurred over many thousands of hours amid many hundreds of airplanes, in various parts of the world, and involved maintenance performed by rental facilities, schools, charter companies, corporate departments, repair stations, private individuals, and government operators. They occurred during skydiving operations, crop dusting, flight instruction, charter, back country operations, firefighting operations, during flight test, and other entirely unrelated scenarios.
You have made my exact point withour realising, which was why I was concerned about the message your earlier post conveyed.

I wouldnt command an aircraft in these circumtances or with maintenance performed by some of these individuals. If your career is to be believed, then unfortunately you dont have the same luxury as I, and most private pilots and some commercial, in deciding what you will command. If that is the case your post is hardly representative to most of us. In that much your poor record is more believable. As a friend and instructor of mine very recently told me when we were discussing this subject (and who almost certainly has many more hours than you, but very much keeps his own council) the trick is knowing when to refuse to a fly an aircraft - which he has done on many occasions. Wise words indeed that you may find would reduce the chances of your suffering yet another engine failure, albeit would not eliminate the risk.

I was asked to take an aircraft in for its annual last month. I had never flown the aircraft before, although I did know the owners. A walk around revealed enough, albiet relatively minor issues to give me cause for concern, further investigation revealed other issues that I am not going to go into - suffice to say I never flew the aircraft.

Pace

Yes, it was in the cruise. While I agree an engine failure in the climb out is a serious matter, I am almost equally mindful of the failure in a descent particularly in IMC. Engines throttled back , the failure goes unnoticed or isnt noticeable, power is applied for whatever reason .. .. ..