PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Bristow Helicopter Pioneer - autobiography
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:04
Ainippe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristow/Indonesia

I have great regard for the man ...

I remember him coming to Sarolungan in Indonesia during his farewell tour circa 1980/81. We were a helirig operation with the 212's stripped down to the bare minimums including removing the dual controls to save weight. Of course he wanted to fly and went into one when we said the duals had been removed " you bastards did that on purpose" he ranted " I want an aircraft with a set of duals in in it by the morning" So dutifully we fitted a set to one 212 .... anyway he pitched up at 10 the next morning and demanded to go flying, we had to break the news to him that the aircraft left 3 hours ago and he would have to wait for aircraft to return. Much consternation .. he did eventually get to fly. But the point is I didnt see him for another 20 years but when he saw me he said "your Nick Strange, your the bastard who removed the duals from the 212's in Sarolungan" but he shook my hand and we chatted for long time. I was always amazed at his ability to remember names and faces.
On another note to support Stacy, My fathers name nor mine appeared in his book but I still feel I played a very small part in making Bristows what it is today.

Last edited by Ainippe; 3rd Aug 2010 at 08:05. Reason: misspell