PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions: CPL Performance Exam
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2010, 01:36
Jazzy78910

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm happy to report I passed without any worries - an 84%, not as high as I like, but a pass none-the-less.

This was the worst exam I've sat so far (haven't yet done NAV or Gen-Knowledge). Finished with 4 minutes to spare, and hadn't checked any of my answers

For others reference, the exam was something like:
- 3 or 4 take-off and landing charts to extract data from
- 3 or 4 PNR / ETP / CP type questions. (Know the formulas!)
- 1 floor weight loading type question based around the Echo's 450kg/m2 limitations
- 5-8 weight AND balance, or just weight OR balance calculations. (How much to add, how much to be moved here, ballast to add etc)
- 1 or 2 fuel or distance calcs
- 1 or 2 Pressure or Density height calcs
- 1 or 2 Rate of climb type questions (find out TAS, then multiply by 6, etc etc)
- 1 or 2 TODA vs ASDA vs TORA type questions

30 Questions totalling around 50 marks:
- The first 12 odd questions were 1-Mark, and quite fast to complete.
There was two 3-Mark questions that took around 5-10 minutes each, based on W/B
And the rest of the questions were for 2-Marks, which took their fair share of time too - lots of banging away on the old calculator!

Bob Tait's Text covers it all quite well, just ensure you can do the calculations in your sleep and there will be no surprises. I didn't use the Runway Distance Supplement or ERSA, that I was required to bring.

My downfall was the good ol' T/O and Landing charts. The lovely Day-VFR booklet they give offers blurry and hard to use copies of the P-Charts and I often found myself with an answer smack in the middle of two of the multi-choice offerings. Even working backwards from the answers didn't yield useful results.