PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 225 sqdn sarawak 1965
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 11:00
Aldons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XP 327

It just shows how memory is affected by time, Ive always believed that there were four in the back, thanks for the correction.

The report on the reason for crash and the court martial results are not quite correct.

The helicopter most definitely crashed due to the fore and aft jack servo becoming disconnected. The connecting bolt was not found and speculation was that the nut had not been split pinned. The servicing records showed that the link mentioned earlier had not been removed, however after investigation back in England it was proven that a bearing in the end fitting had been replaced. To do that the link would need to be removed to press the bearing into the housing.

The blades came off as a result of catastrophic impact with the very dense and high trees at the crash site. The helicopter disintegrated, the largest single item being the main gearbox and rotor head. The blade fittings were still in place attached to the rotor head. I took 4 rolls of film at the site for official purposes, all handed in, but it did mean I was looking very carefully at the various bits and pieces.

Re the court martial, the SNCO in question was found not guilty of manslaughter due to negligence, but I believe that he was found guilty of signing for his own independant check. I believe for that he was reduced in rank. Incidently he hired a lawyer from UK for his defence.

I confess I dont know what is in the the Official Reports, I only have my memory to go on, but having spent 2 days at the crash site and having sat through the Court Martial I am fairly confident in the details that I have given.