PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC situation in Spain
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 01:13
El Molo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General R/T

- Stop repeating yourself when giving instructions. One clear instruction is enough, one callsign and we will respond. Saying the same clearance twice makes you sound like an amateur.
- slow down your rate of talking. It is confusing since a lot of us are non-native speakers and it makes people nervous - including yourself. We roll our eyes when flying in African airspace with controllers spitting out instructions like a machine gun because they think it sounds really professional or cool; well it doesn't - it sucks and it's difficult to understand. Some of the best controllers in the busiest European airspaces, eg. London Approach, speak very calmly and measured, without a hint of stress in their voice. It instills confidence among the pilots and makes everyone more relaxed. I am aware that Spanish is usually fast-spoken so this would require a conscious effort.
- if we miss an instruction, don't start talking to us in a patronizing and condescending way. eg. ' FastJet123 I Say Again ' in a loud slow voice like you would talk to your 95 year old grandmother. Ok we missed it and we're really sorry, get over it and just repeat the instruction.
- avoid the use of 'recleared'. it's use is confusing and no longer recommended (and so is 'charlie charlie' for that matter.)
- avoid 'climb and maintain FLXXX'. We will generally not climb to FLXXX, stay there for ten seconds and then descend a few thousand feet. It would be pointless and so is your instruction.
- use 'continue' heading iso 'maintain' heading. 'Maintain' is used for FLs and not headings as disambiguation.
- not your fault but...get some new microphones because the sound quality of your transmission is among the worst in Europe. Some controllers should check however that they speak into their microphone and not just facing away ogling at their good looking colleagues. When you say that they're unreadable, you hear this characteristic adjusting-rumble and suddenly you hear them twice as good! (this is your fault)

En route

- as you approach the end of the cruise segment and prepare for descent, you can from time to time see other traffic going to the same destination placed exactly on your same location two or four thousand feet below. When both aircraft nearly simultaneously ask for descent, a 25 minute battle for airtime to ask for stepped descents ensues. Can't you give us speed separation 50nm out or when we enter your sector to avoid this annoying problem.
- It appears you don't acknowledge PAN calls, only MAYDAYs ? Is this correct; I have my info from hearsay so not sure. Definition of PAN (from the French: panne - a breakdown) indicates an urgent situation of a lower order than a "grave and imminent threat requiring immediate assistance", such as a mechanical breakdown or a medical problem. All pilots know it, most would use it, unless in Africa.

Descent

Spain is one of the only countries I have flown to were aircraft separation is either 50, 70 or 90 degrees off track. It is soo frustrating. Can you please seperate based on speed or with less then 45deg heading changes? It would remove another world of frustration. Of course, any argument in your defense is immediately invalidated since Spain is the only country where this happens, ha!

Holding

You really have to give us an idea of how long we will likely have to hold. An EAT is all we need and we use it to make our decision to divert or not and if so when. It is a difficult decision with big implications (rescue flights, hotel accomodation, buses, loads of paperwork and this is before declaring an emergency due to low fuel). They give them in most countries so if you wanna join the cool cats...

Approach

once you start giving speed control, you have to continue it and end it.
eg. 'maintain 160kts until 4nm' or 'free speed'
It is the only way that pilots will respect your request. Many times pilots start reducing their speed on their own initiative because they can see they're catching up the slower traffic ahead. In this case the pilots should tell you but many are reluctant or forget. Adding to the problem is the multiple frequency changes on approach where speed instructions from one controller are not passed on to the next one.

Ground/Air

stop favoritism for Spanish aircraft. I know it was mentioned earlier on and defended by ATCO's stating that it doesn't happen, but it still does. Over the three years I was based in Madrid, I have seen an improvement but it is sooo unprofessional. Just put yourself in our place. We don't ask for favors, just a fair treatment to any of your customers. Don't think you see this kind of favoritism in places like London or Frankfurt.

regards
Thanks for sharing those tips. Always a good time for learning a little bit.
I also say "maintain heading" but I never trated a single traffic differently according to nationality. NEVER . And believe me, I will not defend ATCo doing it, if they are any, but also blame this behaviour. I don't work in Madrid, but it is hard to believe that this is a common attitude... I believe it happens as you are quite a few pilots pointing at it, but I want to think that these are isolate cases. We are talking about our work here, one thing you believe in and that you want to perform the best way possible. The normal attitude among men is to perform brilliantly, independently of the task assigned.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, it is good to have feedback from "the other side".

Regards