PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC situation in Spain
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 01:05
El Molo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have provided a link into the lion's den as far as us pilots are concerned. So in the full knowledge that I am probably going to get mugged by a band of angry and of course overworked controllers let me say the following.

Your roster does of course look as though the scheduling system is out of control. However given that most of the single days off are actually 48 hour periods free of duty most of us pilots could point to similar stretches.

You do not provide detail as to what duties you are expected to perform during this time. Is any of it standby, reserve or whatever you call it?

It looks as though your employer is attempting to respond to the sickout by scheduling every controller to the limit. That way he has maximum flexibility to respond.

We have at average 4 stanby services per month. But it's just fiction, since the decree, and it's being almost 6 months now, I only kept at home during one of the stanby's. We had 3 controllers per sector. Now we get 8 for 3 sectors. The missing one is covered by the ex-rest time of the others, provoking a lot of short relays, and a lot of sector shifting. Both are declared of high risk in safety studies. Instead of programming 9 people for 3 sectors, and if at the end I have 8 then we can handle it that way, they systematically plan the least number of sectors possible, and without any extra controller "just in case". As in every business, there are people who fail, due to injury, sickness, baby birth, surged relative or whatever. So with the low planning they do (just to avoid spend money) nearly all the satndbys are called, even days before the work shift.

As to your final paragraph, it happens just the opposite way, as they schedule to the limit, there are increasing sickouts.