Old 29th Jul 2010, 14:09
HazelNuts39

Originally Posted by PBL
You can obviously do that in both Normal and Alternate Law (that is, Alternate 1) on an Airbus without actually reaching, let alone going beyond, AoA for C_L_Max (and I mean the real C_L_Max).
I didn't think the discussion was limited to Airbus A320/330/340/350/380. Can you really authoritatively state that Airbus never stalled any of those airplanes beyond the g-break? Bear in mind that certification is not limited to normal configurations and conditions but also considers icing, system failures and their consequences and probabilities (ref. FAR 25.1309 etc), turning flight stalls, accelerated stalls, low and high altitudes ... What about other manufacturers?

Anyway, I have considerable difficulty in accepting your statement that "In other words, actually high-alpha-stalling large commercial aircraft, even for certification, is ancient history." From my perspective, it doesn't do justice to the rigidity, thoroughness and expense in money and manpower of the type certification process of large airplanes.

regards,
HN39