PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thomas Cook cadet scheme
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2010, 12:18
historyftw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dustyprops - Now I have a lot of respect for your 11year + career. However, I think you totally miss understand where I am coming from. I am 100% a team player. I've played sports, coached sport etc... thats all a team game. I've been in situations where I've had to work as a team or could end up dead. At my current place of work if I wasn't a team player I'd be out the door pretty quickly.

What I fail to see, in regards to this application, is what team am i in at the moment?

"FTE believe it is the largest response ever to an advert." - So I know that I face a lot of competition? So a team player would give away what was on the paper to those being interviewed at a later date? At this stage surely knowledge is power. I could quite easily tell everyone that X Y was on the paper, Z was not. All the other candidates interviewed so far could do that. Just doesn't make sense AT THIS STAGE to be helping each other as we are all competing for a very small number of places.

I see it as the qualifications to make the relay team. I am in competition with everyone until I've made the team. When I'm on the team i'll do anything to help.

You say about the endless CRM courses well the people on them with you I'm sure are your "team mates" at this stage I have no team mates so I don't understand where your coming from?

"Work with your colleagues not against them otherwise you'll be washed out before you know what's hit you" - They are not my colleagues YET. When/ if they are my colleagues I'll treat them as I have any other member of a team which I've been on. With respect, help them if they need help, ask them for help if I need it etc.. et...

Also, as aforementioned at the assessment centre we were told not to take wild guesses at answers in the hope of fluking the exam as they use this as a base of knowledge anda aptitude. If they think you have got 100% on the exam and take you to Jerez and find out you could only manage 20% and fail. Then you have wasted ALOT of money and they have given a place to someone not deserving it. All in all not a good situation. I liken this to me giving any tips away as to the assessment day.

Now sporting metaphors may not be your thing but that is an easy example to use. I've captained teams, coached teams and been a member of teams. If I was to choose to work on my own or in a team it would be the later. Any member of teams I've been on would (hopefully!) tell you what a team player I am and I'm proud of this.

My point being is that I am a team player. I will work with my colleagues. However, I haven't got any colleagues yet. If I was to help people now I would end up with the wrong colleagues and it would be unfair to those that were deserving. And in doing that I am not being much of a team player am i?

Just to clarify all of the above seems like I have a massive ego. For what its worth those on my assessment day were very able and I'm sure all the others are to. Whilst I would love to get on a scheme like this I realise my chances are slim and that it may be viewed that other candidates are better. Don't buy a ticket don't win the raffle! But I'd like to stress at no point do I believe I am not a team player.