PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 07:38
graculus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Can we please stop this non-sense of pyscho literature and Dutch art? God I hate literature (not as much as poetry though)! Please, leave all the poetic dribble on Literature Rumers.org or European Art.org and let's focus on the situation in Nigeria. Geez, like we don't have enough rumors to clarify already.
Ah ... Philistine .

Our society distributes itself into Barbarians, Philistines, and Populace; and America is just ourselves, with the Barbarians quite left out, and the Populace nearly.... Matthew Arnold, Culture and Anarchy
Just to further exasperate and enrage loav8r a quote from another North American, Canadian Poet Louis Dudek

The philistine provides the best definition of art. Anything that makes him rage is first class.

It should be borne in mind that the Philistia are said to have formed part of the great conferacy of sea-faring ship raiders who caused such problems to Kimg Ramses III. Another of their traits was that following violent conquest, they always burnt rich cities to the ground. They made no attempt to retain this wealth, but instead built new settlements of a lower cultural and economic level atop the ruins.

They bear in this, a great resemblance to the Norse pirates of the eighth century, the old Norse feminine noun, Viking referring to an overseas expedition.

.... with grateful thanks to Uilleam Skaespeare, the lesser-known bard ...

Act 1 .... Scene 2 ....
A viking longship in the Bight of Biafra, dawn.....

BJORN ( A Viking Chief)

I stand in the prow of my fine craft, scanning the sea both front and aft.
I’ve left my lands, my fiord, my past, to discover the fabled shores of Afrika at last.
Riches untold in that land of baobab honey, (the nice set kind that’s not too runny)
I’ll bring a fortune in my hold, and pay off my debts to the gods of old
No more will Thor be on my case, since I lost a load on yon horse race.
Sail with me warriors! Strike up a song!!
To raise our spirits as the journey will be long
We’ll see a landfall 'ere the new moon – I can see us finding Nigeria sometime soon!

VIKING WARRIOR (A Viking Warrior)
Land Ho!!!!

BJORN ....
What????

VIKING WARRIOR
Land ho!! Off the port beam!!!

BJORN
Oh……

OLAF (Another Viking)
He’s right my Lord I see a shape, Bonny isle beneath night’s cape
We’ll make landfall before o’er long, so there’s not really much time to strike up a song.

BJORN
Ohh, I thought Nigeria would be much further, are you really sure it’s not some place other?

OLAF
Yes my Lord there is no doubt, see even the sun sets the other way about!
In the east and not the west, like the wisemen wisely guessed.

BJORN
Send for Ragnar he is clever, we’ll question him and he’ll endevour
To explain it all in easy terms, that tax not my brain

OLAF
Send forth Ragnar The Clever

VIKING WARRIOR
Send forth Ragnar

RAGNAR (A clever Viking)
My Lord I’m here, you wish my aid? My Council? Or perhaps some mead?

BJORN
I’ve no time for drink despite its merits, Look, see before us! Lands to inherit!
Is this Nigeria in all its glory? As the Bard’s once formed in story?

RAGNAR
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes. Probably.

OLAF
And it looks a green and fertile place, with trees and woods with a delicate grace
And farms and pastures overstuffed, with grasscutter and goat to make us chuffed!

BJORN
And what about hives? And bees and honey?

RAGNAR
I’m sure there’s plenty worth the journey.

BJORN
Then to the oars and strike for land! Let us ready our warrior band.
This day we plunder and we pillage. In fact we’ll start with Bonny Town! ....

.... exit stage right....

.... not painted by a Dutch Master ...

... or for all denizens of Philistia,

I hear rumours that ConDoctor are, at last, on their way from the land of Hamlet Happy now