PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2010, 11:16
Snas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LB

So why give the employer reason?
You make a good point.
I don’t know anything about Mr Everards abilities as a representative but I’m forced to conclude based on what I do know that he can’t be that shrewd to have thought that his web site was a good idea – this does have to ask questions regarding the control of the reps also, was this a unilateral decision on his part or was it a sanctioned action by BASSA command and control?

I bloody hope not but don’t imagine that I’ll ever know.

No doubt that he feels foolish now and probably regrets his actions. As do most people that transgress in all walks of life. The best of us learn from it and try move on I guess. I hope he does.

Ignoring BA I have to suggest that the crew are better off without this representative as he has to possess questionable judgement at best, and this is the issue that causes me concern about unions behaviour on occasions, especially BASSA.

He is now being presented as some sort of martyr, unions should defend those in need and deserving of defence of course, but they should not defend those not deserving and should do so for the benefit of all the crew.

In my professional career I have been an employer of thousands, literally. I have in that role had to unfortunately dismiss probably hundreds over the years. I can describe all such dismissals, regardless of their specific details, with a single sentence “protecting the employment of those that behave appropriately, for those that don’t jeopardise the employment and prosperity of all”.

Alas I suspect Mr Everards disciplinary falls into that category. Just another sad chapter in this wholly sad dispute that has been so badly managed.

If as some suggest, Mr Walsh is an evil megalomaniac hell bent on reducing the T’s&C’s of all staff in all departments to Dickensian levels then BASSA’s management of the IA has only served to facilitate and accelerate same.

Fortunately I don’t believe he is, personally. Time will tell I guess.