PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solidfx8 chart reader..good or bad?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2010, 11:16
carpe_jugulum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there another licence type perhaps??

Clarrie,

Just a thought, perhaps there is another form of the EULA - a Commercial version? Here is an extract from further within the Jeppview EULA.

"........If the Software and Data under any of the above licenses are being used in Licensee’s flight operations department to support all aircraft for which a license has been purchased, Licensee may (i) use the Software and Data within its flight operations department simultaneously with use on Licensee’s aircraft containing the same or greater subscription coverage, and (ii) print charts from its licensed copy of the Software for use in an aircraft which has subscribed to the same or greater subscription coverage as that being printed....."

The Jeppview is a little oriented toward the private level, and given large airlines have tailored packages of printed charts, perhaps there is a commercial version applicable to types fitted with panel mount EFB(QF A380 for instance), or those airlines which provide crew with EFB.

Having said that, I agree that selling a product wherein the licence agreement prohibits its' primary use is quite preposterous.

Perhaps some questions shouldn't be asked - if we keep quiet, we can use privately owned EFB, as it could be claimed PDF version of a chart may have been derived from a paper version privately held by the pilot.

Also, there is not much chance that, should you have an incident/accident, the origin of your operational documentation, if current, will be called into question. Besides the flames will have consumed the evidence

If the iPad version is on it's way, let it happen, then we can ask the questions about commercial use - they will miss a big market if they prohibit use by Airline crew.

My 2 cents.