PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2010, 12:48
aguadalte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transition modes with no protection?

HazelNuts39:
We will have to find the recorders to know for certain but I am beginning to see potential Swiss Cheese holes in Airbus system design.
I remember reading the preliminary accident report of the Crash-aerien 30 JUN 1994 d'un Airbus A330-321 F-WWKH - Toulouse-Blagnac Airport where it was stated that, one of the contributing facts for the crash was "the absence of pitch attitude protection in the autopilot altitude acquisition mode [that] played a significant role." [see here]

Since then, I have always kept the idea (although I don't remember having seen it written in the FCOM), that during transition modes (like ALT*, ALT CRZ* modes) protections are lost, even in Normal Law.

Could anybody lead me to the Accident Report of that particular flight? (Can't find it in the web)
Could it be that, after that particular accident, some sort of upgrade was made to Airbus aircraft flight control laws (and that is why I can't find any clues on the subject in current FCOM's?

(please don't be mad at me if I don't reply to your help on this one, soon. I'm flying to LAD this evening and internet there is so slow...)