PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 11:26
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my view

I think your answer depends upon where you see the industry in 2 years when you will be looking for a job and how much of a fallback plan you have if you don't get a flying job.

The majority of the industry are slightly ageist with a few exceptions - I know Flybe, BA and Jet 2 have all taken low hours entry approaching 40 and Flybe I know really don't care how old you are, fully recognising life experience can be a great asset on the flight-deck (I joined low hours at 38)

However I do believe that I only got the interview as an older chap because I went integrated and was recommended by OATS at a time when the airlines were approaching the flying schools wanting pilots. I do believe that if you are older and would prefer to go for airlines rather than spending years working your way up from instructing (which is fine if you're 22 but not so great if you're 40 with kids and a mortgage) then the extra £10k by going integrated made little different to the loan repayments and a world of difference in helping me secure employment.

It's just my experience,

Desk-pilot