PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 08:45
amostcivilpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 44 I am now starting to realise that I am already half way through my career!!!

However, would I start at this age?

I would say that I would, but subject to what I wanted to get out of it.

I have zero interest in flying the heavy metal. I am at heart a GA pilot and if I was in your position and was passionate about wanting a flying career then I would suggest a GA career is the way to go. It is possible to get into the big jets at this age but the reality is that the opportunities are slim.

Unfortunately too many people still see those of us who are over 30 as being too old to do somethng else with ourselves. I fully believe that if you really want something and are 110% committed to it then you should go for it.

However, at 44 after a previous career to Senior Level you have been made redundant and are looking for a new career path.

Have you asked yourself why you have waited so long to become a professional pilot?
Do you have any flying experience?
Do you have the support of your family?
Can you really afford to use your savings to spend 2 -3 years getting qualified and finding a suitable job?
Are you prepared to travel?
What do you want to fly, aeroplanes or helicopters?
Would your temperament allow you to go back to the bottom after being so close to the top?
Could you take instruction from a young 20 something instructor?
Wold you take the instructor route?
Could you instruct?

And very importantly. would flying allow you to plan a future where in effect you would only have around 15 years in the career to work with as a professional under present European rules?

Etc, etc......................

Flying is great fun . To some it is a vocation, something that you live and breathe and cannot do without. It is to me and to many that I know.

But I also know many others who grew up wanting to be pilots, got into the system and now find it is not for them and in certain cases simply do not enjoy it anymore, but need to stick with it because it is all they know or are too scared to take the jump and find something else to do.

I had one friend like this. He hated flying commercially, was still a permanent FO when I last heard about him and would have been much happier person and pilot if he had stuck to his original career path and remained a PPL.

I personally have gotten everything and more that I have wanted from my career. I have been in the military as aircrew, I have been an instructor, I am qualified to fly rotary and fixed wing, I have managed to work in other areas of aviation such as ATC, avionics, operations, etc. Everything I have done was based on the goal of achieving something new and developing an all round portfolio and it has gotten me into what I consider the best job any pilot could ask for. But I started at 16, married in my 30's so my single days were filled with flying and those other traditionally associated sports involving members of the flying community but not alway airborne

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.