PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss evacuates in Thessalonique
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2002, 17:51
Shadowpurser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the result of this thread is that we as crew now know what tailpipe fires are. I for one now know what to look for and will not be concerned! I will bring it up with SEP not next year but imeadiately as next year may be as good as a chocolate tea pot if we get a mistaken evacuation because of this phenomenon.
I for one would like to see a video on this phenomenon so we know EXactly what to look for - and how come we have never been told about this berfore? - have we all stumbled across a gap in the SEP training? I wiil bring it up on my next visit to JB house and hopefully get an answer sometime soon.

BUT if you have issues in about how we are trained as cabin crew - BRING IT UP WITH TRAINING! we are trained the way we are trained - we all have to make a decision on the day based on the situation and if we deem in catastrophic. There are no hard and fast rules so here in lies the problem. As NJR says we are all learning every day and I've learnt here today, but if you want to clearly deffine to crew what catastrophic is then I suggest you take it up with your relevent training departments as it seems it is a grey area!

Thank you BOAC for a very constructive post (that's not meant sarcastically) - we are trained not to evacuate a moving aircraft in our drills.

AND FINALLY!!! - I AM IN NO WAY THE FLETCHER CHRISTIAN OF THE FLYING COMMUNITY!!!

As I've said in a previous thread I am in no doubt who is on charge of the aircraft and anyone who has flown with me will tell you that is exactlly the case. I am not some 55 yr old CSD earning more than the Captain and the FO put together and been around since the Wright Brothers and thinks he is THE DADDY! I am a new forward thinking young Purser who gives a monkeys about the company and his PAX and wants everything to run smoothly and safely. I do not look for every opportunity to unsurp command or do my own thing without consulting the captain, far from it. I am a true advocate of CRM and believe it to be the way forward in preventing incidents that should not happen. I am trained by the company to behave the way the company wants me to.

You can draw your own conculusions about what people are like from what they type on here.... but - I'm sorry! - until you meet them, talk to them, and work with them, YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!

This is a forum where people express their views, opinions, ideas and feelings. Sometimes these conflict as we have people at all ends of a varied spectrum on here (411A for exampe). I'm a headstrong guy who likes to be honest with his views and opinions and not afraid to express them on here or in person, but at the same time - ready to learn. I have learnt something here and will now pass it on my my crews in my briefings.

Now here's an idea - How about I start a thread on WHAT IS CATASTROPHIC? - If we get input from all sides perhaps we can come to a happy resolution to this? From there we can go to our respective companies and get some clearer guidelines set down? Sound good?

I hope so. I'll put it in the CRM forum.

Last edited by Shadowpurser; 30th Jul 2002 at 18:04.