PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Day 2010
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2010, 09:04
SRENNAPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very saddened to read some of the comments here, very saddened indeed.

I was not able to make the event, but both my daughters went and if it is of any consolation to those of you who had to “work the weekend” I had several text messages and photos sent to me from work colleagues who truly enjoyed the day.

Earlier in the day in Bridgend, I had bumped into a chap in his eighties. He wore a RAF Baseball cap, Blazer with a RAF crest, RAF tie and so many badges of aircraft and station crests. I just had to stop and talk to him. He was off to the event in Cardiff and so looking forward to it.

About 80,000 people turned up in Cardiff to watch the event and I will bet many of them were old vets such as the chap I had met in Bridgend. Try telling them and all the others that the event is not a good idea.

If the Armed Forces want the support and respect of the people they need to be visible and not just a one line sentence in a newspaper or 15 second TV news report about yet another casualty in Afgan or wherever. Whether you believe it or not, the general public love pomp and ceremony and of course flying displays.

During my near 30 year service I attended many, many parades in honour of something or other. Yes they were sometimes annoying to prepare for etc, but when I was there I was truly proud of being part of the event. To see the little kids & their parents and old folks clapping and cheering as you marched by made you feel good and appreciated.

I am sure that if the general public read some of the posts here, they would not be quite so appreciative of the Armed Forces.

And you know what, if you are not proud of wearing your uniform you can always PVR and leave.