PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad RWY at JFK again
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2010, 07:49
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the 31 knot limit for the crabbed technique came in, I've landed a 772 in a 40 kt crosswind at LHR using the crossed control technique - and when I was very, very new on type. (It was my initial check flight after my conversion.)

The aeroplane went on as if on a rail (thanks more to Mr Boeing's designers than anything I did, I suspect), and we certainly didn't get a pod scrape. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's how the autopilot does it and it maintains a totally stable attitude (and perhaps just as important, a stable track) right to touchdown.

Thanks to the track line in the compass at the bottom of the PFD, you can even finesse the amount of rudder required to get the aircraft tracking exactly on runway heading, so it doesn't matter if you don't get the flare/touchdown absolutely nailed - the aircraft isn't going through (what can be a quite large) gyration as you kick it straight at the last minute and therefore, isn't heading off for the side of the runway at a rapid rate of knots if you float a little longer than is ideal.

777 drivers, next time you do a sim. ride, ask the instructor to wind in a 30kt (or more) crosswind and take a look at how the autopilot handles the final 300 or 400 feet. Then try manually flying an approach and use the same technique as the autopilot. I believe you'll become a convert.

The only reason I can see for someone using the 'kick it straight in the flare' technique in a 777 is ego, because you think you're skilled enough to do it. Like those who lambasted me in posts above, you quite possibly are - but too many FO's (and Captains on multi crew ULR flights) I've seen try it aren't so skilled and turn what could be a no brainer, non event crosswind landing into something approaching those movie clips we've all seen on YouTube.