Old 12th Jun 2010, 05:59
Brian Abraham

Being hit was just a very small part of an outstanding piece of bravery and flying from Ian and his crew that day. Too hot to go in initially, men literally dying from their wounds on the ground, taking MG fire on the way in, taking MG and SA fire whilst on the ground loading casualties, taking MG fire on the way out resulting in aircraft issues shall we say. Dealing with all that, then getting hit in the head, bloody streaming down his face, having the composure to keep control and make sure his crew were ok whilst demanding from BN everything she had left to get the casualties who were still dying in the back to Bastion. Then after literally a day or too to recover, back flying Ops and IRT into similar situations.
For Grabbers benefit the above was standard fare for the likes of a previous generation such as SASless, Eagle86 and self. Well remember my first day as a lead pilot of a formation of four. Not one aircraft remained flyable, though we managed to get out of the LZ ambush, and suffered something like 60% of participants dead. Personally I got off lightly, a round between the shoulder blades - here's to armour seats. My crewchief was not so lucky, though survived.
Another day, question "how do we recognise the LZ", answer, easy "there's ten aircraft on the ground burning".

What flavour is that other straw Grabbers, strawberry is my favourite.

Does not detract from the fine efforts Ian and chums are making, but a continuation of the exemplary efforts those in uniform have always made when up against it.