PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK orders 32 more A380's(Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2010, 06:47
GMDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, His Highness has confirmed repeatedly that none of EK has been traded or given as any
kind of security for the bailout from the southern Cousins. He was on the contrary not amused
at all (politely put) about the traffic rights pouching of them lately (ORD, NRT).
This huge order seems to me as a highly political signal to the World: Don’t discard Dubai and
don’t take advantage of its slip. For Europe such an order could not come at a better time.
I believe it was most certainly arranged with ample kickbacks, like landing rights or other touristic
or economic deals with Dubai. Astutely done at the time when a recovery looks dawning.
On the other hand I believe this is a punch into the stomach of Abu Dhabi. We all know that
the Dubai bailout was not to help some kind of brother or cousin out of pathetic bloodline sympathy.
They knew bl@@dy well that if one of them goes down, the other will follow suit, too interwoven
are the systems. But as EY was only set up for the tit-for-tat little ego war between sheikies,
it would be tolerated to suck its Daddy’s wallet dry as long as it did not hamper too much EK.
But as EY started the unfair poaching game at the very time Dubai was in trouble, the latter had two choices:
Give in and hand EK on a tablet as “security”, that would have been taken in the very moment they signed, or to throw in the gauntlet. That’s what they did and the pressure is now on EY (and Qatar).

The order is huge, and it’s a gamble. But considering the situation it might just work out fine for Dubai.