PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 19:39
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XTR_Chris,

I am not sure if you are serious or not. Sometimes with new posters it is difficult to seperate the naive from the trolls. Assuming the former, and at the risk of pouring water on your fire, the one thing the world is not short of is low houred pilots. There are hundreds if not thousands of people who have spent eye watering sums of money on "pilot training" only to find themselves and, or their families sitting on mountains of debt, with very little realistic prospect of any meaningful aviation related employment in the near term future.

There are many good integrated flying schools who offer this sort of training programme, and I have little doubt that CTC is right up there with the best of them, however these are programmes that require a huge amount of financial commitment. If you apply for an assesment and are offered a place, you will be looking at an early requirement to stump up nearly £70,000 as a training bond, and around another £15,000 for training and living costs. In fact £85,000 to £100,000 would be a ballpark financial outlay for most forms of integrated training, be it CTC or another good provider.

Given the reality of the market, and the combined need to balance the fact they are a commercial company with the costs of providing the assesment, I would suggest that £160 is but a tiny drop in the ocean, if you are serious. If you are baulking at this stage, it would suggest that you are right to be apprehensive. I would suggest that you spend a good deal of time using these forums to research this subject in some serious depth. If you could place all the paper qualified, low houred pilots who have completed their basic commercial training but find themselves with no related employment, in a large field, you would be staggered at just how many are out there, and just how crowded that field is.

Those licences and ratings that have been expensively aquired are perishable commodities with absolutely no intrinsic worth. For each of them the clock starts ticking when they are issued. Along with the medical certificate, they all need to be expensively renewed (often with additional training) at annual intervals. Those who are lucky enough to be plucked from this crowded field, often have to finance additional ratings at significant cost to themselves.

If you have £80K - £100K to spend on something speculative, go for a Ferrari. If it doesn't satisfy, you can sell it and get most of your money back. That is not a luxury that a commercial pilots license will afford in many cases. Having said that, if it something you simply must do, then do it with your eyes open, and do it armed with common sense and knowledge.

Once again if the assesment were £1000, I could better understand your question. £160 is about what it costs me to take my kids to a theme park for a day. That would seem a very small price to pay to find out if you think you have the ability to complete the training course, they think you have the ability, and much more importantly you want to commit to such a serious investment with all the real and potential risks involved.