PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 12:52
thehighlander959

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have flown into TIP on Emirates Airlines over the last few years on a four week rotational basis, probably about 96 take-offs and landings.
In 2006 the flight was serviced by an A330-200 to Tripoli via Carthage, Emirates early in 2006 completed all their crew changes in Carthage due to problems they had in Libya ie. Tripoli Airport and Hotel problems for crew rest.
I have completed a cou[le of late afternoon dusk and rain landings on both runways. I always thought the better approach was for R 27, that meant when you landed the Terminal building was on your starboard side.

Two years ago 2008 Emirates changed the service to a Boeing 777.200/300.
This was done due to the length of flight time ie.0900am DXB departure with an arrival time in Tripoli of late afternoon as the stop in Carthage was still done for the Emirates crew change.

On both aircraft we have had imperfect landings but never scary landings.
I also flew in on an Alitalia Airbus 319 on Runway 09. in 2009 the poorest landing I have ever had in Tripoli and that was early morning from Rome, on the approach looking out of the window visibility was very poor. The touchdown and run out along the runway it was like being on a kangaroo.
I always wondered on that flight did the pilot see the air field at all prior to passing the threshold????
Sad to say but my thoughts go out to all the passengers and their families.