PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:03
AlexanderB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The past few weeks have seemed pretty messy, by the looks of it I'd say a few egos have come to clash. I'd like to think that its still no good cause to disregard the past 6 months although it may be slightly distasteful.

Just about every other pilot candidate I know barring one wants to go for the fast jets and I'm certainly no exception. I don't think of it as unusual as high aspirations and one hell of a lot of motivation appear to be prerequisites for an ADF pilot in general, the recruiters may even view these high aspirations (backed by the right leadership potential, etc.) as a good sign for a candidate. Just because I'm aiming for the jets definately doesn't mean that I wouldn't be absolutely stoked to find myself in the cockpit of a PC-9, Orion, Herc or any other military aircraft in some years time. I certainly don't doubt that its as much fun as piloting a fast jet.

A pilot is obviously an officerial position and as you stated leadership potential and trainability in many other aspects are absolutely essential. One would hope that by the conclusion of Assesment day all those that do not display whats needed of them to be an officer or do not recognise that their primary role is to be an officer and secondly a pilot have been told to go home and work on it and try again later or simply just to go home.

I can't ever remember seeing top gun, i think what really got to me as a kid was seeing the f-111 do their nap of the earth training down low in the hills and valleys where I live, it was certainly a sight to behold (if you managed to see them)

As per usual, if you disagree with what I've written then feel free to correct me, In fact there's quite a lot to gain from constructive criticism.

Cheers herkman, its good to have someone directly in the know about.