PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 18:52
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you have betted the lives of tens of thousands of fare paying passengers, as well as the financial health of six dozen airlines on this wild assumption before you had any scientific info upon which to base your decision?
Here's what I said on april 18th in my post nr. 819:
I live here about 50 NM west of Brussels. The weather here is great: absolutely cloudless, blue sky with almost unlimited visibility. Give me an A320 and I'll be glad to make a test flight in this airspace at any altitude between MSL and FL390. Yes, I'll even take my kids along on the flight, but I will stay clear of ALL visible ash clouds.
So yes, I would have "betted" my own life and that of my fare paying passengers in the conditions mentioned op april 18th! Sometimes using common sense is more useful then NON-EXISTING scientific facts! May I remind you that there has NEVER been an ash encounter flight incident unless in VISIBLE ash clouds!

Congrats on your worthless gift of 20/20 hindsight.
No hindsight! that's what I said from the beginning!

Acceptable concentrations of ash (according to Flight International) are 10exp-17g/cuM
I'm not so good with figures anymore, but this post nr 2477 appears to be a good reply to your figures.

Allow me to be just as disrespectful to your ideas as you were to mine by using the same smiley:

Last edited by sabenaboy; 30th Apr 2010 at 19:16. Reason: Added answer to the "hindsight" remark