PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Building hours for that first job...
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2010, 04:14
dotau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it does give me a few more things to consider and options that I haven’t even thought of which was my aim in starting the thread.

Currently I am considering some 200 series time – about 10 hours or so, probably about $2850 for that in a 206. I think it would be a good step in the right direction as I have noticed the majority of charter companies do have 206’s and 210’s in their fleet.

In terms of CIR and NGT VFR, I would just have to keep my CIR recency up to be able to fly at night. I would rather keep that up then pay for a VFR NGT rating.

I noticed that a few of the glider groups use the Piper Pawnee – tail wheel endorsement required. Possibly a good way of getting some hours up over the weekend but I would like to visit these places in person and ask a few questions before outlaying money for the endo.

Parachute ops – I know of a couple around SE Qld, both pilot positions seem well secure by their current crew. I have heard that ‘meat bombing’ hours aren’t as favorable as bush time by some charter companies. Don’t shoot me for saying that, I am just repeating what I have been told.

Ideally I would like to have a little more experiences before hitting the road and heading up north as I am certain that every other newly qualified pilot would have the exact same qualifications as me. I would like to have something on my resume that would stand out from the rest and perhaps make me a more favourable candidate for a low hour position.

I will keep working on it and saving some money up.

Thanks once again for the replies.