PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poll: BALPA's Performance - Vote
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 14:32
Barden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, Clanger32, I'm very sorry your training appears to have come to nothing. It's a sad fact of life where individuals elect to put themselves through training there's a significant chance there won't be a job at the end of it. If you're heart's still in it, don't give up. I'm sure many of us who've been in the industry for a while will have come across stories of pilots breaking into the airline world after a significant flying hiatus after training. I remember chatting to a BAe146 Capt a few years ago; he trained in the early 90's and it took 6 years to get any sort of flying job. But your bad timing isn't BALPA's fault. In reality a union can only change things when it has someone to engage with - i.e. an employer. CC means Company Council and the clue is in the title!

Stakeknife's post is spot on. If more pilots took his mature and considered outlook, the profession would be in a much stronger position. Unfortunately pilots in general tend to be self-centred individuals who can't look beyond their own bank balance. Witness the regularity of the BALPA didn't do this me, BALPA didn't do that for me, yada yada yada. For a bunch of intelligent individuals, pilots are remarkably short signed and many are fuelled by greed and envy.