PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training – How did your Family cope?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2010, 11:38
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a relatively late starter at 35 when I finished the training and landed my current job. I was lucky, right time right place and the market was booming 3 years ago. Type rating paid for and all of that good stuff. Its worth noting that even during this boom period that many of those at my school didn't get a job. Those that did tended to have them lined beforehand or had good contacts.

My Mrs was pregnant at the time of me completing the ME/ CPL/IR and I landed a job straight out of school so I was under pressure from all sides.

All the training was a blur to be honest. Sat in a room in front of a computer (CBT) for weeks surrounded by books. Then into a sim in the small wee hours finishing up around 2am most mornings (training gets the worst slots) to then go home for a few hours sleep and study up some more for the next days sim ride. I know I was a bugger to live with for the 3 months or so I was training. To be honest it continued probably for the first year and a bit until I was more comfortable with the work. Along with most guys I know we are still hitting the books regularly but the workload is much more manageable. Now I would say I am supplementing my knowledge rather than trying to fill massive holes in it!

I was lucky in that I was and am based where we live. Others aren't so lucky and have to commute which can put a big strain on relationships. There were many nights away however. They were good for me during the training as it allowed me to hit the books but needless to say there was someone at the end of the phone that wasn't so happy.

Perhaps the first thing you should be doing is to draw up a list of potential employers. The CAA has a list of all of the AOC's. The IAA has the same for Ireland. PPJN is not always accurate but will give you some information to get started on. Start researching where these operators get their pilots from, which schools, MCC courses etc. Any referrals schemes into these airlines? Did you have to be sponsored? What is the profile of their recent recruits in terms of age and background?You can discount many straight off the bat as they don't take on low houred wannabes or maybe prefer ex military. Others only want pay to fly cadets. Others want a type rating self funded. Some will want local people, others have language requirements.

You should also consider the type of commercial flying that you wish to undertake. As you say the instructor option is pretty much dead in the water at the moment. In the past this has often lead to referrals from the CFI into jobs flying things like biz jets, king airs etc. Assuming you were ready to go in your 40's then the airline business might not be the best place for you. With ICAO extending retirement ages and already long times to command you might find yourself as a career co-pilot sat next to a captain in their 30's who has another 30 years till retirement. Other airlines of course have a different demographic so its not always a fair generalisation. FR for example had one of the quickest times to command in the industry but now their growth forecasts are cut as is their fleet expansion. With no one else hiring I can't see many of their pilots moving on so their time to command will surely be on the rise.

Best of luck.