PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Employment - threads merged - all you need to know
Old 11th Apr 2010, 00:03
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balticflier
.....Its actually hard to imagine how true certain things are... I doubt there'd be that many westerners working in the UAE if the rules were REALLY that strict!

And one more question... daft though it may seem... to what extent does my girl have to "cover up" in Abu Dhabi? would she have to wear a veil? Sorry for the questions folks but I really have NO idea!!!
Her biggest problem would be sponsorship for a visa - she would need her own (as you can't sponsor her unless she is a spouse) and therefor her own job. After that I would avoid having any more than one name on any housing related things, i.e. your name really.

I know of some people who co-habit with girlfriends from back home. Just be discreet, but be aware it is illegal and you can't cry foul if you upset the wrong person and they report it. Moral is don't upset your neighbours.

May be worth considering getting the quick paperwork only wedding when you get here, many do it and have a proper wedding when they are ready, I suppose it depends how you feel about it and a pre nup maybe a good idea if you go down such a route, however it may make life easier!

No veil required. Beach wear is for the beach and you should really dress with some sensitivity toward local culture (many don't though). Basically it is a far cry from Saudi and whilst hot pants and a boob tube may get you some funny looks (especially if it's you rather than the girlfriend wearing them), dressing for summer isn't likely to get you in any trouble. Shoulders covered and a skirt to the knees is the usual advice I think.

Do lots of research - don't look too much into the PPRuNe bitching, the UAE is different from home but you get used to it.

If you get here, welcome to the worlds biggest beach!

(skydive6 only one more positive post until deletion!!!)