PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 14 years old, dream career is an Airline Pilot.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 01:49
Pilot Positive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you fail to prepare than prepare to fail?
God, I wish someone had told me that when I was 14!!

Emily, you've heard lots of differing oppinions about whether you should or should not pursue a career in aviation and how you might go about it. None of them are wrong and all bring their own prospective and percpetion of aviation. However, listening to too many oppinions can make it difficult to formulate a plan of your own (cant see the woods for the trees!) and the best thing is to simply go and see for yourself.

The truth is, there is no standard or mathematical formula to achieving what you want in life generally. But here's a few ideas:

1. Do what you feel you are comfortable with, make sure you have a balance in your life in terms of school work, friends and hobbies. This is very very important.

2. Have a set of realistic goals and work towards them in small and fun chunks - small goals to be achieved in achievable timeframes.

3. Enjoy what you want to do by involving your parents and friends and by becoming part of a community.

4. Accept that sometimes you will not succeed (regardless of how hard you might try) and it will hurt - but that does not mean you have failed or have to give up.

5. Keep an open mind to other options. Not because aviation is a big bad place - all industries have their issues - but because you might find you just dont like it or you like something better.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.