View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2010, 11:49
Icare9

RaguoC: I haven't any evidence that Peter was related to Derek, just asking if a brother had been mentioned. Sounds like you'll soon have confirmation either way.
Further research turned up an old thread on another forum:

OLVER, DEREK REGINALD Fg Off 101091
WYATT, JULIUS LEE Sgt R/83471

were flying Oxford II, AP465 or AB641 of 12 SFTS, which collided with each other over Grantham. Both registerd in Grantham. It might actually be 12 FTS, not 12 SFTS, which I think was at Brandon, Canada. I have asked on RAFCommands for any further info.

Name: WYATT, JULIUS LEE
Initials: J L
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Air Force
Date of Death: 15/03/1942
Service No: R/83471
Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. John Homer Wyatt; husband of Mary Evelyn Wyatt, of Jacksonville, Texas, U.S.A.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 19. Row A. Grave 19.
Cemetery: GRANTHAM CEMETERY

It's not clear whether they were both in one of the Oxfords, but I would assume that both were in one which lost control and went straight in, and the other made a landing but badly damaged.... Others may know more, now we have a unit identity.

With regard to W/C P Olver, he seems to have had an exciting time, he managed to damage his Hurricane in Nov 1942 by hitting a telegraph pole, (see: 'Fighters over the Desert' by Shores & Ring p.208, confirms that: (13 November, 1942) POs Waite and Campbell of 213 Squadron were shot down by flak, and Sqn. Ldr. Olver hit a telegraph pole with the tail of his aircraft, returning safely however.
but was shot down and captured:
OLVER, P/O. P. 84963 British. 611 & 603 Squadrons. Shot down, captured and made POW June 11th 1943. (earlier reference above presume was "Acting" rank)
He obviously resumed his career in the RAF post war to make Wing Commander. Obviously, if he is not related, then of little actual interest to this thread and my apologies to all.