PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 18:01
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Blakeley
I am rather disappointed in your recent posts:
I believe that I have adequately described (in numerous posts) the weather most probable on the Mull at the time of the crash – it was prevalent at that time of day, at that time of year, with a southerly blowing – you have had 15 years to visit the area and see for yourself; it would not have concealed the presence of the Mull but it would have made visual judgement of range very difficult if needing to approach a specific point on the Mull such that if they had been using some navigation system reference that was incorrect there would not have been the visual cues to alert them to any error. They would not have been in IMC until the last few seconds.

My analysis gave me the strong conviction that they were approaching a specific point under control and that they would not have been doing so in those conditions without a local reference in which they had confidence.
Had they crossed the known LZ on 035 mag, they had only to start a banked turn to the left when they crossed the shoreline to swing around the lighthouse for a safe wave-off and so were not doing anything wrong in approaching this spot at speed if they had guidance to that LZ.
The CPLS was the only candidate system that could have been so used and so I have been insisting that it must have been used, despite this system apparently being a taboo subject – the evidence for its use was the analysis and now that it seems that the kit was fitted, it is really a case of QED.
The ground set (PRC112) only needed to have been ½ mile or so up the hill to explain all that is known about this crash; with their oblique approach angle to the shore, this explains their premature turn onto 035 and their apparent surprise at the proximity to the slope. Not bringing this equipment to the attention of the civil authorities has wasted inquiries that may have been able to establish just blame on whoever messed up this exercise and establsh whether it was accidental or wilful.
There was no evidence whatsoever for a control jam or engine control problem. When we met in Perth all those years ago and I was concerned that they had been misled by DME, did you not know of the CPLS that you did not mention it? Do you not think that the air accident investigators should have been informed of a significant local navigation system being on-board? Does this not make the verdicts against the pilots void, that such a system was not considered? What a stinking disgrace.