PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbine starting and hot starts
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 21:55
Fangio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR DART 'Hot-Start'

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned starting the RR Dart.
From what I remember from years ago, the starting sequence with an external start using a GPU was as follows. The fuel trimmers were set to the appropriate percentage, depending upon the OAT, the throttles closed, the appropriate engine then selected, the starter motor switch armed, the starter button presssed and the stop watch started. After 5 seconds, the HP cock was opened and the TGT rising confirmed light-up along with rising oil pressure. One finger was kept on the fuel trimmer, and the othe hand on the HP cock, ready to close it if the TGT climbed too rapidly, the HP cock could be 'milked' ie slightly closed,reducing the temperature. the starter button should pop out before 30 seconds had elapsed, if not the button was pulled out manually. If a 'Hot Start' occurred, more often due to a strong tail wind up the jet pipe, the engine was shut down and a 'Blow-Out' cycle was used get rid of unburnt fuel by spinning the engine with fuel and igniters off.

To see a 'Hot-Start' with a RR Dart was quite spectacular, a long sheet of flame from the jet pipe.

It was many years ago since I last started a Dart and maybe someone currently operating Darts will correct me