PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how do i get my enthusiasm back for flying ?
Old 21st Mar 2010, 19:49
Jumbo Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Vectis

You might consider going back to the place, or somewhere like it, which inspired you to do it in the first place. After 15000 hours I sometimes get jaded with airline life and frustrated with the internal politics and whingeing which goes on in the company I work for and I lose sight of what inspired me to do this, and when that happens sometimes I go out on my own and find an airfield or an airport somewhere and just sit and watch the aeroplanes. It was my Dad taking me out to little airfields when I was tiny which first sparked my interest, and then later when I was a bit older, going down to Heathrow on the bus to watch the airliners - in those days it was Tridents, VC10s and 707s for the most part, but the roar of their engines was music to my ears and the air didn't smell right unless it bore the perfume of jet fuel! For others it might be the puttering of a Gipsy Major engine or the sight of a biplane delicately three-pointing on to a grass runway in the green of an English summer, but there is usually something in most pilots which makes the pulse quicken some. Go find it and you might rediscover what brought you here in the first place. Good luck.