PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 08:19
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cows
I really appologise for not immediately recognising the importance of your picture – of course outwardly the UHF antenna pair are identical to the old Violet Picture UHF homing kit – so an outsider would not see anything new.
What was new was the kit inside – in addition to UHF homing, it gave a DME function to a hand held beacon (PRC112 type) allowing all-weather approaches to assault zones, forward LZs, etc – here's a picture of the whole system (if I haven't already posted this):

What surprises me is that Chugalug2 hasn't commented yet despite him having knowledge of the older UHF homer, and being such a prolific contributor to this thread – I recall someone sometime back writing that the HP's intercom was set to UHF guard?; well here is a snippet of a post made by Chuggers in 29 Aug 2008 on the “Gaining an RAF … brevet” thread:
<<Regarding Violet Picture …. it was tied into the UHF T/R, by selecting ADF. If the recvr was tuned to Guard (243) then it became a means to home in on a Sarbe emergency beacon, and it was SOP to have this combination selected especially for Sea Transit. >>