PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2010, 06:06
rmventuri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icare9 - HR732

Kevin,
My oldest uncle (Doug's older brother) - the elder Milliken now at age 91 (served with the Royal Navy in WW2) is traveling to California to visit us for a week in April - A topic for discussion will be his thoughts on hiring a researcher. Once again Kevin I cannot express my thanks for your many hours of research for us. Doug's best friend (from grade school to enlistment) Mert Zapfe was KIA while at Snaith on his very first raid in May '43 (new crew/new plane - got lost out of the stream over Amsterdam and picked off by a night fighter). We have connected with Mert's sister who hired a very knowledgeable researcher also recommended by the 51 squadron historians as outstanding. So we will be talking to him in the near future. Keep your fingers crossed.

I have a group picture of Doug Milliken/Mert Zapfe/Jack O'Dowda (all 51 Squadron) and Jack Thompson taken in Canada before heading overseas - all best friends - they couldn't have been more than 18 or 19 years old. From the picture you can see their youthful excitement to "join the air force and see the world". None of them came home. I still find it difficult to look at that picture.

Rodger