PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2010, 20:18
rmventuri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ops

Fredjhh

I noticed that my "A" Flight Commander, S/Ldr Russell, had his Chivenor operations counting as half ops

The half ops explains an enigma that never added up in the past – I had written it off to a mistake or missing information never to be known. Doug’s logbook has all night flights in red (whether an Op or training) and while at Snaith operations were always preceded with “Ops”. Obviously some did not count – noted as “returned early” due to icing up or some mechanical issue. While at St. Eval he was on six long anti-sub patrols which were neither red nor preceded with “Ops” so I had incorrectly assumed did not count. It never made sense to me why these didn’t count but since the numbers never added up I have always questioned it.

When I received his (200+ page) service history his last performance evaluation stated 15 ops as of 9 Oct ’43. I could never make this add up from his log book. The additional 3 ops at St. Eval now reconciles the difference. The ill fated Leipzig raid of 4 Dec ’43 was his 20th op.

(Stupid?) question for all – was photographic evidence required to get credit for an op? Would you ever get credit for an op if you were well on your way then forced to return early however bombed an alternate target?

Thanks
Rodger