PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will the AFPRB say this year?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2010, 20:56
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zedder
That's a shame. The whole idea of the change was to stop the Flt Lt Pilot who does nothing but turn up to fly or sim, but Sweet FA else, getting a bigger pension than all the Sqn Ldrs (except a PAS Pilot) and generally speaking probably the Boss.
Zedder would you believe your comments were made exactly 40 years ago?

The whole point of spec aircrew and PA is to retain competent and professional aircrew over the age of 38 and in the process recognising that they will never get promoted beyond sqn ldr/flt lt.

It started with two officer streams - the direct entry and the Cranwell cadets. The latter were specially selected and trained to become tomorrows leaders. The also rans had the aptitude to be the tip of the spear and were required in large numbers.

The lists were combined as it was recognised that some direct entrants developed better than some Cranwell officers. However to retain the essential operational experience beyond 38 they introduced the spec aircrew cadre.

PA was just an update to that scheme. But to use PA in command authority, commensurate with their experience, but in excess of their rank, is wholly wrong as it starves the 30 year old thrusting sqn ldr from that essential command experience.

That essential experience so that he can learn how not to be a w^nker.

The PA flt lt who does sim and fly is doing exactly what he is employed for. He is available to be messed around by that sqn ldr. He can dispense pearls of wisdom "f*** **f, Sir" and is experience waiting to be used. If you don't use him properly then you have not learnt how to exploit your resources.

They deserve the pay.

PS, I am pleased to see that despite PA my pension is well within sight of theirs. Only problem is keeping it out of sight of the tax man