PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2010, 08:59
valve guide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robinson Rebuild

I am totally confused! I always thought that at 12 years or 2,200 hours, whichever came first, your R22/44 had to be rebuilt. I then have seen some heli's for sale that have had a 12 year "inspection" where the heli has only done say around 1100 hours and can go for another 12 years as long as certain parts are replaced and and that the 2,200 hours isn't exceed. So technically you can fly another 1110 hours in 12 years. Is this right?

I saw an R44 Astro for sale, way past its callender 12 years and on enquirying about it was told the following:
" You're confusing Time Life items versus TBO items versus maintenance manual items. The only calendar items that MUST be done at 12 years on an R-44 is the blades. Then they're are other items that have a time life of 2200 hours and MUST be replaced. Also at 2200 hours several items have a TBO that you can either do or keep running on condition. Also Robinson's maintenance manual has a 12 year inspection that has you replace and inspect numerous items, but again it is not mandatory. The only FAA mandated requirement is to not overfly time life limits and to have an annual inspection. If you're doing commercial work then also 100 hr inspections. It's different if you're a part 135 operator, then you HAVE to do all the maintenance manual requirements as well as all SB's. It is a common misunderstanding that the whole helicopter has to be completed overhauled just because it reaches 12 years or 2200 hours, but that is just not the case.
Anyway, I'd be glad to talk more with you about these requirements and 159RP."

Is it different in the USA and could I adopt this if I bought an "N" reg machine? Sorry if I'm being thick but would be grateful if someone could clear this up? Many thanks.